Yes, this raw muffin mixture actually keeps in the fridge for 30 days; infact it even gets better as it sits! Make up a batch and cook a few muffins every day for a month. The longer it sits in the fridge, the drier it gets, so you could add a tiny bit of water into the mix. This is the basic recipe, but you can replace the chopped dates and raisins with grated carrots, grated courgettes or chocolate chips with or without a bit of grated orange rind.
- 2 eggs
- 225g dark brown sugar
- 500ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml sunflower oil
- 140g chopped dates
- 110g raisins
- 110g bran
- 370g plain flour
- 1\2 tsp salt
- 2 1\2 rounded tsp bread soda
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together, then add the milk and vanilla, mix well, then add the sunflower oil, dates, and raisins.
- Sieve the bread soda and salt with the flour, add the bran and stir into the wet mixture.
- Mix again and cover tightly until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 180’c.
- Stir the mixture before using.
- Put muffin cases into the muffin tin (or paper cases into bun cases), and fill three quarters full.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until set and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.