Trunchbull Chocolate Cake
This week on Recipe for Success our student chef Ayesha Suliman from Cape Town prepares is Trunchball Chocolate Cake for Justine Drake from Fresh Living Magazine, Reuben Riffel speaks to Cameron Van Den Bergh about his Recipe for Success and then there’s still the viewers competition worth almost R 250 000.00.
- 2 cups Cake flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- pinch Salt2 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 2 Medium eggs
- 1 cup Boiling hot coffee
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 250 g Dark Chocolate chips
- 500 ml Heavy Cream
- CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
- 100 g Unsalted butter
- 250 g Icing sugar
- 30 ml Cocoa powder
- Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and add to the dry ingredients.
- Lastly, add the boiling hot coffee and stir well.
- Pour into desired size cake tins and bake for 30 mins or until tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before assembling and decorating.
- Chocolate Genache:
- In a microwave dish, heat the chocolate and cream together until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Use 1 minute intervals and stir in between.
- Allow to cool to thicken.
- Chocolate buttercream:
- Sieve cocoa powder and icing sugar together. Set aside.
- Whisk butter to soft and gradually add icing mix alternating with the ganache until well mixed.
- Place the buttercream in the refrigerator to stiffen.
- For a classic chocolate cake, sandwich two sponge layers with buttercream and chocolate chips. Completely cover the outside of the cake with buttercream as well, use the ganche as a drip covering over the buttercream and top with more piped buttercream.
- For a plated version, plate as desired and serve with coffee sabayon and chocolate decoration.