Sponge Toffee Ice Cream
Sponge toffee can be dipped in chocolate for a home-made crunchy treat. It can also be mixed with ice cream to make a sponge toffee ice cream.
*You can use a candy thermometer or a simple trick: take a spoon and drop a tiny drizzle of the mixture into a bowl of water – if it crystalizes, you’ve reached the hard crack stage.
Easy, Moderate, Complex
- 1 cup sugar (250 ml)
- 1 cup corn syrup (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda (15 ml)
- Combine sugar, syrup, and vanilla in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue to cook to 300 ˚F (hard crack stage*), about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, using a wooden spoon, stir in baking soda quickly (it will become frothy). Pour into an 8 x 8 in (20 x 20 cm) pan, lined with parchment paper and buttered.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes and break into pieces.