Roasted Root Vegetables
When former professional boxer Laila Ali is invited to Emeril’s kitchen, he takes off the gloves and knocks her out with a meal worthy of any “celebrity” in your home. First round: a left hook of a refreshing iceberg wedge salad with cherry tomato vinaigrette and a jab of a quick melon cooler. Second round: a combination-punch of pan seared steaks with herbed butter and oven roasted root vegetables like you have never seen before. It is another knockout meal under chef Emeril’s belt. Ding, ding!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook: 45 minutes Total: 1 hour
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 pounds sunchokes or potatoes (recommended: Yukon gold, red bliss, fingerling), scrubbed well and cut into 1- inch wedges
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut in half
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole shallots, peeled
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the sunchokes, carrots, parsnips, onion, olive oil, salt, black pepper, shallots, and garlic on a baking sheet. Toss to evenly coat the vegetables. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, until lightly caramelized and tender, stirring once midway through the cooking time. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley leaves.