Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Nick visits the butcher shop and the chicken coop and prepares pork chops with apple & whiskey sauce and a pineapple upside-down cake that will rekindle your memory and seduce your palate.
- ¾ cup Golden Brown or Light Brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple rings, drained
- Maraschino cherries
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the brown sugar and the butter, and cook, stirring well, until the mixture starts to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Pour this mixture into a baking pan, then add the pineapple rings. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring and a few cherries around the outside of each ring.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- To prepare the Batter:
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, then add the eggs and mix well, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the melted butter and the milk, and keep stirring until they are completely incorporated.
- The batter will be stiff. Pour it over the pineapple and spread it well. Then bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
Let the cake rest for at least 10 to 15 minutes, then loosen the sides of the cake with a butter knife and invert it onto a serving dish.