Iceberg Wedges with Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette
When former professional boxer Laila Ali is invited to Emeril’s kitchen, he takes off the gloves and knocks her out with a meal worthy of any “celebrity” in your home. First round: a left hook of a refreshing iceberg wedge salad with cherry tomato vinaigrette and a jab of a quick melon cooler. Second round: a combination-punch of pan seared steaks with herbed butter and oven roasted root vegetables like you have never seen before. It is another knockout meal under chef Emeril’s belt. Ding, ding!
Prep time: 15 minutes Total: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup sliced shallots
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head (about 1 pound) iceberg lettuce, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) grated fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) grated or crumbled blue cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine the shallots, balsamic vinegar, and red wine vinegar. While stirring with a spoon, drizzle in the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix well to combine, and set aside.
- Arrange 2 wedges of iceberg lettuce against each other on each of 4 serving plates. Season the iceberg lettuce with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Sprinkle 1/4 cup grated mozzarella and 1/4 cup blue cheese over each plate. Then generously spoon the tomato vinaigrette over all, dividing it evenly among the salads.