Grilled Hanger Steak
Chef Anne Burrell guides you on the path to shockingly tender Grilled Hanger Steaks, with foolproof tips to making the most of this flavourful cut. Her steak shines alongside melt-in-your-mouth Ratatouille, plus a Grilled Octopus with Celery and Cannellini Bean Salad makes a stellar appetizer. Celebrate the rustic French flavours with a glass of red Bandol wine from Provence.
Total Time: 12 hr 20 min
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 10 min
Yield:4 to 6 servings
Wine Pairing Suggestion: Bandol red
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds hanger steak, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- Combine the garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper with olive oil to make a loose paste. Coat the hanger steaks with the paste and sprinkle generously with salt. Let marinate in the fridge overnight or up to 2 hours outside of the fridge.
- Preheat the grill.
- If the steaks have been marinated ahead, remove them from the fridge and let them come to room temperature.
- Grill the steaks for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Let the steaks rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the steaks on the bias and serve immediately.