Greek Almond Crescents
These are gorgeous little macaroon type biscuits which will keep very well. I love these with a tea or coffee or even served with vanilla ice-cream at the end of a meal.
- 200g (8ozs) grated almonds
- 100g (4ozs) caster sugar
- finely grated rind of 1/2 an orange
- 4 drops of almond essence
- 2 egg whites
- 50g (2ozs) flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a baking tray with parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Mix the ground almonds, caster sugar and grated orange rind together. In another bowl place the almond essence and the egg whites and whisk together. Pour half of the egg white into the dry ingredients and mix until it comes together, you may need to add more egg white, it should be quite a soft mixture.
- Roll it into a large sausage then divide it into 18 parts (each about 1 heaped teaspoon each). Roll each piece in the flaked almonds and with your hands, form crescents. Place on the baking tray and bake for 13-18 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.