Van Der Plank Fish
This cooking method gives the fish a delicate smoky flavour. DO NOT use just any wooden plank as it can only be made with certain untreated woods. Available locally under the brand Braai Plank, they come in three types of wood – alder, maple and oak – each with its own characteristics. The planks are perfect for poultry, salmon and seafood, and should be soaked in water, wine or beer before using.
KETTLE BRAAI DIRECT
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed juice of 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium fillet salmon/angelfish (make sure it will fit on the wooden plank)
- 1 untreated cedar or maple plank
- Combine the oil, garlic and lemon juice. Pour into a ziplock bag. Season the fish and add to the bag and marinate for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator, turning a couple of times.
- An hour before cooking, soak the cedar or maple plank in water.
- Remove the fish from the marinade and place skin side down on the plank. Cook on a hot fire for
- 20–30 minutes without turning the fish. If you find that the plank is burning, spray lightly with water. Gently remove the fish from the plank and serve with lemon wedges, new potatoes and salad.