Rosemary Spiced Chicken
Having endorsed one of South Africa’s largest herb and spice companies, local chef Reuben Riffel has danced across our television screens sharing some quick and wonderful recipes. This is one which I’ve modified for the braai.
KETTLE BRAAI DIRECT WOOD OR CHARCOAL FIRE
- 6 chicken breasts on the bone, skin on juice of 1 lemon
- 85 ml (1⁄3 cup) olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- Robertsons chicken spice
- 20 ml (4 tsp) dried rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using your fingers, gently lift the skin from the breasts without tearing it or removing it completely.
- Combine the lemon juice and olive oil and spread generously between the skin and the breast meat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Just before cooking, sprinkle the top of the breast generously with chicken spice and a sprinkling of dried rosemary. Pull the skin back over the breast, securing if needed with a toothpick.
- Brush the skin with extra olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook over the fire, breast side up, for 8–10 minutes. Turn over carefully without breaking the skin and cook for a further 6 minutes. Don’t overcook as the breasts can dry out easily.