Lemon Leaf Meatballs
Makes about 20
- 500ml (2 cups) day-old white breadcrumbs
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 500g lamb or chicken mince
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 10ml (2 tsp) soy sauce
- 20 fresh lemon leaves, washed and dried
- 20 cocktail sticks
- 20 cocktail tomatoes
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for 10 minutes, then squeeze out excess moisture. In a large bowl, combine the bread, mince, seasoning, garlic, parsley, lemon zest and juice and soy sauce and mix well.
- Roll into 20 small balls and wrap each meatball in a lemon leaf.
- Thread the leaf-wrapped meatballs onto cocktail sticks and place on a baking tray.
- Grill under a preheated grill until the leaves are charred and fragrant and the balls are cooked, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove from the oven and add a cocktail tomato to each stick. Cool before packing in a container.