Ginger Beer Calamari Steaks
Inspired by Anke Roux’s recipe from Fresh Living magazine, calamari can be particularly good prepared over the coals, which gives it appetizing charred edges.
KETTLE BRAAI DIRECT WOOD OR CHARCOAL FIRE
- 6 calamari steaks sunflower oil
- 1 x 340 ml can ginger beer
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) soy sauce
- 3 star anise
- Place all the ingredients for the basting in a small saucepan and boil until it is reduced by half.
- The basting should be syrupy.
- Using a very sharp knife, score the calamari steaks in a grid pattern. Brush the calamari steaks with oil and place over the fire, basting frequently with the basting until seared on the edges and cooked through. You will know when it’s cooked as it will start curling on the edges. Serve with extra basting sauce.