A convivial dish where guests can dip into a communal dish of deliciously soft, stringy, flavoured cheese. A great conversation piece.
KETTLE BRAAI DIRECT WOOD OR CHARCOAL FIRE
Serves 6 as a starter
- 500 g quality mozzarella cheese
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme and rosemary, finely chopped salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a wooden or metal skewer, pierce the cheese all over. Place in a square foil container and add the olive oil, garlic, herbs and seasoning. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 2–3 hours.
- Remove the covering and place the foil container on the fire – the heat should not be too intense
- – and cook until the cheese softens completely and is all gooey. This will take 10–15 minutes, depending on the heat. Serve immediately with bread or savoury biscuits. If the cheese hardens before it is eaten, return to the fire and reheat gently.
Note: Ring the changes by leaving out the herbs and pouring over 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) sweet chilli sauce. Prepare in the same way as above.