Crab Cakes with a Herbed Aioli
Our crab cakes are packed full of flavour, and even easier to make than you may think. Check out our step by step video.
Serves 6 – 8
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 800 g Sea Harvest Crab Sticks, remove casing
- 3 large Potatoes, peeled and roughly cubed
- 4 large Spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 20 ml Chives, finely chopped
- Flour – for coating
- 2 Limes
- Canola oil – for frying
- Herbed Aioli
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Dijon mustard
- ½ Lemon
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 5 g small handful of fresh Chives
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Limes – for Garnish
- In a large pot of salted cold water, add the potatoes and cook until soft. Pass through a ricer or sieve while warm and set aside to cool.
- In a separate pot of salted simmering water, add the crab sticks and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the water and transfer to a large food processor.
- Add the potato, spring onions, garlic, chives and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the juice of 1 lime and pulse until just combined.
- Form neat round crab cakes and coat in flour. Dust off excess flour.
- Shallow fry in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat until golden brown on each side, approximately 4 minutes each side.
- Remove from the pan and drain over paper toweling. Squeeze a few drops of the remaining lime over each crab cake.
- For the mayo
- In a large food processor or blender jug, add the egg yolks along with the chives, garlic mustard and ½ lemon juice. Pulse for 2 minutes.
- Begin adding the olive oil in a steady stream while running until a thick mayo has formed.
- If required, add a few drops of warm water to dilute to a desired consistency.
- Season well with salt and freshly cracked black pepper and adjust acidity with the remaining lemon juice.
Serve alongside the warm crab cakes.