Classic Onion Rings
Todays meal goes out to Kevin, my knife guy. Who brings me a new set of perfectly sharpened knifes every week. On the menu, Grape salad with a pear juice vinaigrette and more.
Easy, Moderate, Complex
Yield : 4 servings
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour (500 ml)
- 2 1/2 cup of icy cold soda water (625 ml)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (5 ml)
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 375˚F (190˚ C).
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, soda water, egg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Before dipping the rings, add some ice cubes to keep the mixture very cold (it makes it better for frying).
- Dip the separated onion slices into the batter until they are all coated and set aside. Repeat with remaining rings.
- Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Season with salt, pepper and serve.