Chuck’s Red Velvet Cupcakes
Easy, Moderate, Complex
Yield : 24 cupcakes
- For the cake:
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups of sugar (375 ml)
- 1 ½ cups canola oil (375 ml)
- 1 cup of plain yoghurt (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (30 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 2 1/2 cups of flour (625 ml)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (15 ml)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
- For the icing:
- 2 cups mascarpone (500 ml)
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup 35% cream (125 ml)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 ˚F (180 ˚C).
- In a food processor, mix the eggs with the sugar, oil, yoghurt, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Blend until just incorporated.
- Place cupcake papers into a muffin pan, divide the batter in the cupcake papers, pour only halfway so batter doesn’t overflow, and bake, rotating half way through, for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- For the icing, in a bowl, beat the mascarpone, icing sugar, cream and lemon zests together until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon a dollop of mascarpone cream on the cupcakes.