Carrot and Orange Salad with Olives
Bright orange in colour this is an unusual combination that really works.
The sweetness of the carrot and orange is offset by the saltiness of the olives.
- 500 g carrots, washed
- 6 oranges, peeled and sliced horizontally
- 250 ml (1 cup) mixed olives.
- 75 ml (5 Tbsp) olive oil
- 25 ml (5 tsp) white wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) curry paste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- pinch chilli powder, or more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- juice and zest of 1 large orange
- Start off with the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a glass screwtop jar.
- Shake well to mix.
- Peel the carrots and, using a vegetable peeler, slice down the carrot to create ribbons.
- Combine the carrot ribbons and orange slices on a large serving platter (it looks good on white) and top with the olives.
- Shake the dressing well and pour over the salad. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes before serving to absorb the flavours.